Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My blog tools: iPhone + BT Keyboard

the last couple of blog posts (including this one) have been written on this set-up. nothing more than my iPhone 3GS and my Apple's bluetooth keyboard. and i love it.

i bought the Apple wireless keyboard along with the Apple Mighty Mouse when i purchased my second mac mini (the 2GHz Core 2 Duo), but i wasn't going to use them with the new mac. instead they were slated to be part of my TV PC setup in the living room with my first mac mini (1.66 GHz Core Duo) repurposed as my media center. but since Apple added the Bluetooth keyboard support to iOS 4 (a benefit reserved mainly for the iPad), it's become somewhat of a nifty novelty to be able to the type on my phone using this. i can control the screen's brightness and the volume control from the keyboard as well and use traditional cut & paste shortcuts.

my iPhone 3GS is powerful enough to run iOS 4 along with other apps i tend to run. as i type this on the Notes app i'm listening to audio being streamed via Safari/Quicktime along with Twitter, BejiveIM, and Mail app at this time.

it is a unique alternative and experience to using a laptop. admittedly the screen is a little tight to see the text - which can be fixed by going into in the accessibility panel and changing the font size to 24pt - but all i really need is to be able to quickly type out my thoughts. and the wireless keyboard makes the experience a little more effective than typing on the on-screen keyboard.

don't get me wrong, i still want a Macbook Pro. unfortunately i'm not in position to afford one just yet - especially one with the hardware config i want. still this is more portable than a nettop, laptop, or iPad. and more convenient and lighter to carry around. and unlike a MacBook or iPad i can make or take phone calls. i've taken this out public at coffee shops and restaurants. so far i've gotten a few compliments, but mostly curious eyes.

i have to give it to Apple for coming up with some really cools gadgets.

peace,
@riel


No comments: